Saturday, May 10, 2008

Starved

Remember the plans we’d had
We were going to go to France
And splash around in the fountain
Like the stupid kids we were then
Just like all the things we said
But knew they’d never happen
Well this is one of them
I’m still stuck, testing the waters

I took the courage to say
Everything you meant to me
It was all I could do to
Put off the unavoidable farewells
I don’t believe so much
In this thing they call true love
But I know I believe in love

Isn’t that really all we need?

I don’t want to be like all
Those old and lonely people
Killing time with hobbies at night
Waiting for the rain to
Come and wash their lives away
Take them down the sewer drain
Where they think that God could be
Waiting for them patiently
And when the clock strikes one
Do you think they go and run
Like the kids to the ice cream man
To their fleeting game-plans

That late night TV with the commercial dreams
In between

I took my life apart
Before and after and now again
And I don’t know why it is
Some people are just meant to self-destruct

But sometimes I can be like that
I can be the worst person you ever met
I put it on like self-defense
But it’s really what’s killing me underneath
And everyone watches and laughs
And walks away, satisfied
I’m in the ring, I am the bull
I am their minor distraction
But now I know the aftermath
The future skewed
The past gone mad
And every day I said to you
“I really love you”
Maybe now I didn’t so much
Maybe I just didn’t want to be like
All those old and lonely people
Starved for love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This poses some interesting ideas. I liked the third stanza especially, and the repeat line at thend of old lonely people starved for love... It touches on a real fear our society has, in general...

So how have you been? Seems like ages since I talked to you last. Maybe that's just my screwy sense of time. I'm weathering a headache that's lasted three days now. Whee.

ttylz.