Friday, May 23, 2008

Nothing New (But we can try)

I’ve been walking home forever
Nobody opens their doors anymore
They all know
It’s too much trouble
And I can understand
So I sit down and wait
For teach' to teach
But she just prattles on
About summer vacation
All the managers are dogs
All the representatives
Are idiots with shiny white smiles
And now I’m caught
At the coffee table
Trying to have a
Rational conversation
With murderers
That write about their
Exploits on cyberspace
And still think they’ll
Get away with it somehow
Someway

(There’s enough evil in the world
That could just as well never be
Attributed to Satan
But still I insist in writing fiction
And watching movies where
Everyone and the lead dies)

I’ve seen empty capsules
Then capsules filled with cyanide
And this one and that one
Tearing each other’s hair out
And like anyone else
I just stood there and watched
Them bleed into the sewer
Without so much as trying
To make them stop

There’s some nugget of truth
I’m apparently unearthing that
Even I am not aware of
As these words mean more or even less
Than I ever intended
Meanwhile they say Armageddon’s coming
Every year and it still hasn’t
Just little earthquakes
Never the big one
Mad little boys crying wolf
Who can really tell the difference
Maybe it’s already begun
Maybe what’s really needed
Is not some penultimate ending
But a brand new chapter
To add to the story
Because it’s all starting to sound the same

When archetypes are like music theories
And love and peace is cliché to say the least
There's no way I'll become the wicked to stop the wicked
Even if justice in limbo is simply not enough

No comments: