Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cloudhead

Maybe we used to be a part of something
But a part of something never were we
Maybe the skylights weren’t searching us out
But now that can’t much matter
I want to fly off the side of the world
But there’s no side of the world to fly
Best laid in my contradictions
It takes the best indecisions to decide
Which way it is the wind blows
On these hot new summer nights
Because it’s not blowing this way
And I’ve waited much too long
For someone, anyone to see my side
But there’s no side to show
I turn, or stand, alone, embarrassed, naked
And still they do not know
The simple message that I spread
The fire in the ice
To know no wish is to know no sorrow
But also no ecstasy
I’ll never ask your love to borrow
But it’s much too precious to keep
If the sun were to bury its child
In the warmth of your womb
Would you fear your death in labor
Or would you laugh at the notion
Because Jesus came and Jesus went
And I doubt he’s coming again
And even if he did one day
No one would so much as believe it
But I’m not Jesus, we’re not Jesus
We’re human and that’s even better
Our fates are not tied to the stars
And God has no will over what we say or do
But at the end of the long every day
I sit alone and think again
That maybe the things I made for myself
Were really meant to be
The stars aren’t so hard to look past
When you stare directly at them

No comments: