Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Somebody Else's Fire

Her heart explodes
And blue paint smatters the walls
Completely covered
But too tired to attempt escape
I just lean my head back
To keep it down
But I still taste the acid
At the back of the throat
Too much candy for dinner
Not enough to last us till breakfast

But she’s already dead
Or she may as well be
And I’m just dangling
Full arms flung from
This makeshift lounge-chair
As the two-note samba
Plays freely for itself

Climb into the kitchen
And watch the sun go down
Blue paint dripping off the windowsill
Too many interesting-sounding diseases
To keep me fully immersed in
Wilted edged “research”
I read half for pleasure
I write for the same sport
As the man that shoots down the elk
From his back porch
Is it lying if you mean it
Is it murder if the victim
Is a lesser being

Drink a glass of tap water
And wonder why everyone
Complains about it
Tastes fine if you’re thirsty

No comments: