Thursday, April 2, 2009

Whether by the Gleaning Sun

I took the train
Because I didn’t want to be seen
Stand around in the heat
Of a hundred’s breathing
It doesn’t bother me
Not as much

And I felt every second
The wound pumping
Like the gold watch I took off
And gave to the bum

No cashback
I already asked
That’s what you get for playing the role of
The nice guy, yeah

Todd playing
The voice of god
On the radio
And actually making sense
Out of it
Who knows how long to
The end of the world
But the coast I know
Is only miles away
Maybe the world’s flatter
Than they say

I’ve been alive before
But none like today
So many waves
Heading in their own directions
What now after finish
Back to start?

We could not take advantage of
The Samaritan
His views do not stem from
Naiveté

1 comment:

Plotmeister said...

I'm not sure I get what you mean by this one. I like the phrase "maybe the world's flatter than they say" and the second stanza is pretty awesome. The last stanza confuses me...

Have you been reading any poetry lately? Sometimes I read or listen to something and it inspires me in unexpected ways. I'm going to reccomend Hardheaded Weather by Conelius Eady, I think is his name; and Human Dark with Sugar by Brenda Shaughnessy.

Lately I've been becoming convinced that "formless" poetry isn't so great. Not that I'm knocking freeverse, but just moving from image to another, whatever happens to pop into your head at the time, doesn't always make the best result. I'm not saying that's how you write, I have no idea how you write, but that's my usual modus operandi, and it kind of stinks when I'm aiming for Quality. I like those two books I mentioned because there's a kind of structure there, in the way things are ordered, a thoughtfulness to line breaks and juxtapositioned images. And I'm bullshitting, I don't know the first thing about Really creating poetry. But whenever I read a really good poet, I realize exactly how far I have to go. Trying to reverse engineer their creative process is a futile effort most likely, but there's not much else open to me at this point. Just thought I'd share my thoughts in case they might be of use to a fellow creator...

Meh. How's life treating you? Still working away and such? I got my new credit card today, but I'm kind of screwed for cash, which is kind of a problem in Italy. That's sort of life at the moment for me. Let me know how things are going! Oh, and I'll be home in something like 23 days, yay!