Thursday, September 4, 2008

This Whole City

This time next year I’ll be in Nebraska
Working dead end
Wages that can barely be paid
And I’ll remember everything you said about Ohio
Every little detail
Down to the bone

Where do you start
And where do I end
I can’t hear out of my third ear
I can’t listen too well anymore

Maybe I’ll take a flight up there
Sometime
Maybe I’ll stay and see all the shows
Bands I haven’t heard since teenhood
Funny, they still sound the same
They would
With too many late nights
Under incandescent lights
No drugs, no mind-fuck

This time next year I’ll be far away again
You called it true love, fate
But look what happened

Still

This time tomorrow I’ll be stuck in traffic
Still no radio, now no AC
Dreamers still dreaming dead, dead dreams
This whole city falling in around me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Either my imagination is overly vivid tonight or this is a very good mental-picture-painter.

Sad sad last two lines.