Thursday, September 25, 2008

Employee of the Week

Too many things to lie about
And to lie about it to the twelve dozen strangers
I’ve greeted today
Is the real tragedy

That damn clock
I can’t reach it to tape it over
I can’t reach it to knock it off
I can’t look
I can’t look away
The time doesn’t fly
When you’re stuck thinking
Every second of it

Numbers, numbers and more numbers
I never want to see a number again

Grant yelled at me
Telling me to smile
But he was nice about it
But it has to be there
It has to come naturally
I don’t have it
I don’t want to

People know a fake smile anyway
It can be more disheartening than a frown

I feel like I’ve devolved
My first job was terrible
This one’s decidedly worse
But I shouldn’t complain
Even if the truth is: I don’t
Not enough
It all goes in this book
Where no one sees it

I think the real point of complaining
Is getting someone to listen

But this is who I am
Nothing spectacular
No matter how much I want to be
I might spend the rest of my life
Putting people I don’t even care about
Before myself
Without a smile
But trying
And maybe one day
I’ll find true love if I can look her in the eye

No comments: