Sunday, June 1, 2008

Untitled #3068

I will not apologize for being a male
I will not apologize for enjoying sex
I will not apologize for having an opinion
I will not apologize for loving art

Losing my back for causes I don’t care about
I can never help but surprise myself
In this having felt like an old man
And laughing at all the ugly paintings
That people find something in

I will not apologize for insulting art
I will not apologize for hating everything you say
I will not apologize for loving everything you are
I will not apologize for being indifferent

The blinds cut slats across our bodies
And work is a grind we deal with
I can’t much see you anymore
And when I do it’s like this
Breathing in morning air
Wishing it was cigarette smoke
With awkward coughs in between
Clinging to the walls and skipping beats in routine

I will not apologize for being different
I will not apologize for being cliché
I will not apologize for feeling trampled
I will not apologize for waiting on idle

Instead of turning off the car
And the ringer rings as you
Walk into the gas station
And spill a tote of cheap beer
The clumsy idiot you are
But I know I love it
And when you offer to pay it
Even though I know you
Only have a 10 in your pocket
And four dollars in your account
But because you’re good-looking
Or something
The clerk says it’s okay
And puts 10 on 3
And we’re on our way
But when I lean in for a kiss
At the red light
Some jerk honks and swears
For missing the green

I will not apologize for the bullies
I will not apologize for the frail
I will not apologize for inevitable abuse
But if I am the one that ever hurt you
or anyone around you
I apologize

(it's weird to me how stupid and machismo this sounds.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never commented onthis because I never read past the first stanza, because it annoyed me. After finally reading it through, however, I'm not sure you'd like my assesment. On the other hand, I do like the last stanza.

Isn't there a song that says "high school never ends"? Something by incubus, perhaps.

I think your comment at the end, were it combined into "stupid machismo", might be accurate.

Um. Did I have something else to say? Idk. l oh well!

hope you're doing well, btw. ;) ttyl

( ^ urgh, what an appaling amount of chat speak acronyms all gathered into one place.)

( ...at least i recognize it!)