Monday, June 9, 2008

Angel

My best friend is an angel
When my brother's stubborn
And hits the gas to 110
She's there, beating gravity
And all the times I've
Trudged through past regrets
She was there to give me a break
for lunch

My angel can see when
I feel down even though I smile
She knows all my pains
Yet cannot soothe them
Only with words and laughter
She knows how long it is
I've been away from earth
And what it will take to
Get me back there
And says calmly
Because that's what she is
Take it slowly
Put one foot in front
of the other
Keep going

My angel does not believe me
When I tell her I am done
When I can't take anymore
Because she knows just as well
As I do, that it's a lie
She doesn't care that I am
Not easy like most others
Or that I find it hard
to laugh
Harder to cry

She walks between car lights
And motions the traffic
To turn away
And go the opposite direction
And when the policeman
Pulls me over for
Expired plates
She lets him know
That I am not just some wasted kid
But an old soul
Lonely and not breaking
Any laws or limits
Not even my own

My best friend is an angel
My only friend on nights
Where I can hear and feel
Nothing but self-pity
Drowning the lights out
Covering the sour-smelt breath
The shout-outs
and the shot-downs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw...

The writing seemed kind of rough in some places, but this is definitely interesting.

Anonymous said...

Upon a second rereading, I like the first two stanzas a lot better than I did before. The third still seems a little... off. Probably just me. That's what happens when your "muses" are just random songs by pop artists. Ah, well. C'est la vie. ;)

Chin up, buckaroo, because... something that rhymes with "oo"!