Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Old Man '09

Music used to be good
Like before ‘04
And earlier
Now it’s just some guy
Writing songs
Where’s the superstars

Love used to be great
Like back in 98
Like when playing the field
Was considered wrong
And the word actually had
Some meaning
Besides “ahh, fuck it”

Me, I was never any good
Not strong and not getting stronger
I’m just some fiddling asshole
With no responsibilities
Besides jacking off
And typing a good page
If that

If at all

The rain used to taste like water
Now it’s acid and dust on my tongue
God used to get respect
Now he’s just getting disproved
By 16 year olds on youtube

Now I don’t know if I believe all that
I don’t know if I believe in me or you
See, I’m just fiddling with my asshole
Jacking off on a good page or two

If that

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A dispassionate, sweeping look at the world and a disinterested, half-disgusted dismissal. The thing is the voice you write these poems with, whether it's "you" or the "you" of a character, has a certain accent and slant to the words that even someone who absorbed a lot of your word choice style (*ahem* me when I used to read your stuff constantly lol) can't imitate, because it's something innate in the attitude that forms these words. The words I would choose to describe it you probably wouldn't agree with, but it's how it sounds to me. Actually I've been working on that "book" again, with Malachi (the guy based of the Candy Bar Man poems) and I've come to realize that he'sor his life, at least the life he says he leads (he's a liear) is kind of exaggeration of the darker moments that your poems shed a kind of (dark) light on. If that makes sense.

I like the way this starts to end, and then really ends, with the stand alone "If" lines. You describe modern society so accurately. Lots of people say descriptiveness isn't helpful, but it is. Before you can do proscriptive you have to have an accurate idea of what you're talking about...