Thursday, January 22, 2009

Somnambulance Pt 5

It was just another bad idea
She shut the door in my face
So I sat and sulked on the porch
Until the sky turned orange

The car door creaked loudly
As I pried it free from the ice
Feeling the bitter chill
Of the steering wheel
I reached into the glove compartment
The gloves were made of
Cheap wool, and wore off
On my shirt and jacket
But they did their job
Now I was just hoping
I could still do mine

As I took the street up
A sudden splash of rain
Started hitting the car
Hardly a cloud in sight
But it was going
Flipping on the wipers
I continued, trying not to
Let it bother me
I had other things to worry about

I wasn’t a block from the house
Before I noticed a black van
Tailing me discreetly
I’d grown to know better though
And picked up my speed
Albeit not enough to alert them
Gradually, I raised to 50 and then 60
Not to my surprise, they did likewise

Before I knew it, we were on the highway
I picked up the speed considerably
And that’s when they made their move
Swapping lanes to get on my right side

The rain was now pouring too hard
For me to get a glimpse of my assailants
In the window, but it didn’t matter
I knew who it was

With a split second stroke
I swerved the front of the car
Violently into the side of theirs
I heard thunder crack outside

Pushing ahead, I looked back
To see them slammed into the breakers
On the side of the road
The two front doors were open
Nobody was inside
They’d fled before I could get an eyeful
I increased my speed

It wasn’t 5 minutes later
I continued to hear thunder
And witness lightning
It sounded dangerously close
I considered if I could drive through the storm
If I just stuck to the pedal
But before that thought could even pass
I heard a murderously loud thunder clap
And felt a tremendous jolt of pain
Then blacked out

No comments: