Friday, December 12, 2008

Bonaparte

Leave me on this island
Leave me on Elba to die
I don't mind
Actually I do
I'm just the shyest man alive
And maybe to her
I'm not even so much as a boy
"Only boys play games"

I was never in the game to begin with

I say one thing
Then contradict myself
Because everything I say
Carries the weight of feathers
Floating through black holes

"Love can be so sweet"
She also told me this
"But truth is even sweeter"
Even if it lacks a tasteful edge
Instead, a vulgar shape
A pencil-etched penis
in a textbook

The drumbeat ticks along
But there's no uniting force
Behind it all
It's aimless and broken
I never came
Never wanted to be there
In the first place
I tried to call it all off
But hung up and just didn't show up

If you can't count on me
Who can you count on?
…Sorry?
No, I'm really not
I don't want to spread a skin
Over something that cannot be beaten

The computer clicks on
Whirrs and starts
You understand every circuit
Every flash of light

As if understanding is some sort of
Absolution
But I pray the ambiguities make you crazy
They're the only thing left to keep me sane

Leave me alone on this island
Leave me alone to die
It's fine
For the shyest man alive

Maybe one day you too will value silence
And solitude

It's really quite beautiful

No comments: